Creamy Zucchini Soup With Spicy Seasoned Crackers
This is a favorite of my family, was always a hit with the students and a menu favorite at The Blue Apron Corner Cafe.
It’s fast, easy and delicious. Perfect in summer when zucchini is plentiful and great served hot or cold.
Creamy Zucchini Soup
- Immersion Blender or Blender
- 5 medium zucchini quartered & sliced but not peeled
- 4 cups chicken broth (low sodium or vegetable broth optional)
- 4 green onions, white and tender green parts, sliced
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. fresh dill (or 3/4 tsp. dried)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese at room temperature (low fat works)
- sour cream and dill sprigs for garnish
- In a medium-large stockpot cook first 6 ingredients until very soft (about 30 minutes). Cool slightly.
- Using an immersion blender, blend mixture in pot until nearly smooth. Or cool soup a bit and puree in a blender in batches if necessary.
- Blend in cream cheese and buttermilk.
- Blend again until very smooth and creamy.
- Reheat but do not boil. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. *See Cooking Tip below.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and sprig of dill and serve with seasoned crackers, optional.
Cooking School Cooking Tip
Spicy Seasoned Crackers
- 1 1/4 cups canola oil
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbs. dill weed, dried
- 1 Tbs. garlic powder
- 1 package dry Ranch dressing mix
- 1 box mini saltine crackers or 2 packages saltine "oyster-type" crackers (my preference)
- Mix well all above ingredients, except crackers, in a 2-gallon zip-type plastic bag.
- Add crackers and shake and turn to coat crackers.
- Let sit at room temperature overnight, tossing to mix occasionally.
- Store for up to 1 week in an air tight container or freeze for longer storage.